How should a runner celebrate a birthday? At top speed, of course…
Every birthday I make it a habit to run 10 x 100 yards at full speed. Not only is this a great way to check my running form, but also a wonderful opportunity to celebrate another year of movement. With my 2015 event soon approaching in July, April is usually the first month that I check my speed in this 100 yard workout.
I usually have runners join me in my sprints. Sometimes I race a high school track runner. Other times I chase a running friend. And other times I just sprint by myself with no technical devices as I listen to my breathing and feel my heart pumping. Sometimes I wonder if we are getting away from the sheer joy of running fast…it is satisfying enough on its own and one of the joys of life. Hope you can sprint on your next birthday. And welcome your next year on the planet with a smile on your face.
The first month of training is complete for the 2015 “Greek Islands Adventure” race series. It has been a wonderful month of workouts and preparations. One of the new recovery tools I will be trying this training season is hydrotherapy. I wanted one of the most powerful, 2-persons spa hot tubs on the market. This lead me to the purchase of a Vita Spa called Amour. I have soaked every night this past week. Foam rolled every night this week. And had my massage therapist, Lori, over tonight to see how my body is doing after two weeks of intense workouts. I want to see how my body recovers over my five months of training. Does the hydrotherapy help? Does it hurt? Does it not make a difference?
Here is what hydrotherapy claims to assist with:
1) Soothe overworked muscles.
2) Diminish stress and tension.
3) Remove aches and pains.
4) Warm inner core.
5) Provide therapeutic massage.
6) Stimulate blood flow and circulation.
I will keep you posted over the next couple of months to let you know if hydrotherapy actually works. As I have done in the past with graduated compression socks, visualization, or nutrition, I have arranged a personal laboratory to test out this experiment. If anyone of you have comments about hydrotherapy or want to share your personal experience with hydrotherapy, please write us back with your input.
- How A Runner Should Celebrate A Birthday April 19, 2015
- Faklis once again constructing O’Meara’s foundation for fast and injury-free racing April 6, 2015
- Does Hydrotherapy Really Work? March 2, 2015
- The 2015 Greek Islands Adventure – training has begun February 9, 2015
- How To Optimize Your Off-Season Workouts November 20, 2014
- Running North Rim To South Rim At The Grand Canyon September 20, 2014
- Advanced Motor Planning August 20, 2014
- Training In The White Mountains July 14, 2014